I have asked Jan Taylor to serve as Chair of the Advisory Committee for this position and she has agreed. We have already spoken at length about the position and how it fits into my vision for St. Thomas’. Jan Shullenberger, Susan Wescott, and Preston Schultz will be on the committee as well as people from the congregation who are not musicians. Hearing from a mix of voices is important as we search for the right fit for our parish and school. Jan and I are working on how to organize the interim.
The process for finding an organist/choirmaster will go this way:
- We will advertise the vacancy in all of the relevant places and ask for candidates from our contacts.
- With the help of the Advisory Committee, we will reduce the pool of applicants to the best candidates.
- We will then interview these people.
- These will be auditioned and interviewed again.
- We will then narrow the field down to 3 or 4.
- With the input of the Advisory Committee, I will then make the selection.
We are in a very good position to hire a gifted organist/choirmaster due to our decision to combine the position of church and school music director. I am confident we will find an extraordinary musician and colleague in ministry. It is my utmost hope that our new organist/choirmaster will be a partner with Geoff and me in this endeavor: he or she will be a very important colleague in ministry as we recover together.
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions.
David Browder, Rector