Children’s Christian Education is not just another activity. The truth claims of Christianity define history for us. They define history for everyone. They tell us of hope: the present hope of a world to come and the present assurance of the forgiveness of sins. In learning about Christ, we are giving our children the True Home–a True Home they can go to now when the sharp edge of the world gets to be too much and a True Home they can go to when they are grown and we are long gone. This is what we want for our children here at St. Thomas’. We want them to understand that a Loving God who poured Himself out for us defines history. We want them to understand that they have a True Home to which they can always return.
Our new program of Adult and Children’s Sunday School classes begins September 20, 2015, as does our new Children’s Church and Catechesis 1 program. Our Sunday morning schedule will be:
- 8:00 am: Holy Communion (Early Service)
- 9:15 until 10:15 am Sunday School (All Ages)
- Children’s Sunday School (through grade 6)
- Youth Sunday School (grade 7 and up)
- Adult Sunday School
- 9:15 am until Noon: Nursery open (Children 2 and under)
- 10:30 am Holy Communion or Morning Prayer (Main Service)
- 10:30 am Children’s Church (6th grade and under)
- 10:30 – 11:00 am Ante-Communion (Service of the Word)
- 11:00 – 11:30 am Catechesis
- 11:30 – 11:35 am Children rejoin their parents for Communion (Service of the Table)
Check our Event Calendar for specific class information.
Thoughts From the Rector About Catechesis and Christian Education.
- Our New Sunday School Program
- Catechesis is a Greek word which means “oral instruction.” We use it here as a short way of saying “the teaching of the Christian church, that is, the teaching behind the Ten Commandments, the Apostles’ Creed, the Lord’s Prayer and the sacraments.” ↩