At Easter 1972, just short of the 20th anniversary, our current sanctuary was consecrated. In May of that year our fifth class of seniors graduated.
A Brief History of St. Thomas’
St. Thomas’ Church began in May of 1953 when 22 families gathered in an abandoned television studio on Post Oak Road in what was then the far southwest corner of Houston. Each person brought a prayer book and a hymnal; each paid 50¢ for one chair to sit on and one chair to share with future guests. That spirit of providing for themselves and for others fueled the growth of the church and its primary mission: St. Thomas’ School. From the beginning, parishioners worked to make sure that facilities would be available for students. Diocese of Texas. For several months, it was a mobile church, meeting in parishioners’ homes, a local elementary school, the Rectory — a rented house in Bellaire — and in an old office building. Meanwhile, the congregation raised $40,000 and purchased a piece of property in the new Houston subdivision of Meyerland. Through the summer of 1955, the congregation met for church in a wooden-floored army surplus tent — air-conditioned by raising the tent’s side flaps — and for a time afterwards in a temporary wooden building.In 1985, Mr Ingram retired and the parish called the Rev’d Jack L Jackson as the second Rector of St Thomas’. During Father Jackson’s incumbency, the church and school continued to grow, and Quinn Hall, a multi-use building that served as church, gym and theater from 1957 until the current church building was completed in 1972, was replaced by the Murray Center, which contains a gym, library, theater and nursery. Quinn Hall was named in memory of Bishop Clinton Quinn, who was Bishop of Texas when the parish began. He named it St Thomas’, because, he said, he “doubted it would succeed.”The Rev’d Wayland Coe succeeded Fr. Jackson in 1995 and served as Rector until his retirement in 2005. In 2002, a new high school building, with an art studio, choir and orchestra rooms, and computer labs was added to the campus. Fr Coe served for a time as President of the Prayer Book Society, and, after the death of St Thomas’ beloved first organist and choirmaster, John Moseley, called Beal Thomas as Mr. Moseley’s successor. Soon thereafter, the parish, after a capital campaign, replaced its digital organ with a superb pipe organ from America’s premier organ builder, Schoenstein and Co.Upon Fr Coe’s retirement, the parish called the Rev’d Christopher Bowhay in 2006. Under Fr. Bowhay, the parish continued to set standards of excellence in traditional worship and music, calling Ken Axelson as organist and choirmaster to succeed Beal Thomas. The parish also focused on its ministries of welcome and fellowship, and saw significant growth in its population of families and young people. During Fr. Bowhay’s tenure, the parish began an Early Childhood Learning Program, expanding its mission to support families of pre-school age children. In 2012, Fr. Bowhay accepted a call to a parish in Tennessee, and Ken Axelson retired as organist and choirmaster. After an extensive search, the parish called the Rev’d David Browder to be its fifth rector and a distinguished English musician, Dr Giles Brightwell to be its organist and choirmaster. Both Mr Browder and Dr Brightwell began their tenures in September of 2013.In November, 1953, the new church received the Rev. T Robert Ingram as missioner, and shortly afterwards applied for mission status in the